How safe is your sunscreen?
Sun protection is a very important part in taking care of your skin, but did you know that there are numerous toxic ingredients used in conventional sunscreens that can have a negative impact on your overall health?
Unfortunately, many conventional sunscreens contain chemicals that are linked to a variety of illnesses, because they can easily be absorbed through the skin and into the bloodstream. This can lead to various health issues such as:
- Hormone imbalances
- Skin allergies and various sensitivities
- Sun spots (which are often caused by chemical reactions that occur on the skin when UV light and synthetic ingredients are present)
Here are the common chemicals used in sunscreens and should be avoided…
- Oxybenzone: (A high skin allergy risk) Studies have found traces in the blood stream as well as breast milk that can stay in the body for up to 3 weeks. This can lead to a direct affect on hormone health such as: estrogen dominance, infertility, and can be associated to an altered birth weight.
- Octinoxate: Studies have found traces in the blood stream, urine and breast milk. Can have a negative impact on the reproductive system; elevate estrogen, which over a long time use can lead to breast cancer. This chemical has also been known to disrupt thyroid function, which can also lead to an imbalance in metabolic function.
- Homosalate: Studies have found trace amounts in blood stream and breast milk. Exposure to this chemical can disrupt the endocrine system, in particular estrogen. Overexposure can lead to increased risk of breast cancer cell growth.
- Octisalate: Studies have found trace amounts in blood stream, which can lead to negative immune and allergenic effects.
- Octocrylene: Studies have found trace amounts in blood stream and breast milk. Can cause skin allergies as well as various lung and eye irritations.
- Titanium Dioxide: A known carcinogen. Studies have found increased lung cancer risk with inhalation and over exposure.
The great news is, there are ways to protect your skin using natural ingredients that are safe, effective, healthy and good for your skin!
Zinc Oxide is a natural mineral that contains natural sun protecting qualities! What makes this ingredient so amazing is that it provides approximately 28 times the skin’s natural protection against harmful UV Rays! We use Zinc Oxide in our E-Cream, which is combined with other amazing skin protecting ingredients such as, plant extracts that are naturally high in omega 3 essential fatty acids, as well as our locally sourced, cruelty free beeswax.
Now you may have also noticed that there are Zinc Oxide sunscreens that leave a “white chalky texture” all over your skin, most individuals will add water to thin it out, however this then decreases the sun protecting qualities. Our E-Cream is a natural green colour (from the blend of organic herbs used in the formulation), which blends in beautifully and gives the skin an even complexion with an almost “BB Cream” like look. (shop product)
A great alternative to foundation, giving the skin a healthy glow!
Sun protection you can feel good about! For more info on choosing safe sun protecting products visit:
Click on the link below to shop and save on our skin care routines for your skin type!